Knowing what season to plant which vegetable is important when starting a vegetable garden.
Here is a seasonal planting guide to follow so that you will know when the best time to plant a vegetable garden is. You can also look at how to plan your veggie garden and consider a raised bed vegetable garden
Spring Vegetable Garden
You can use these vegetables in your spring vegetable garden:
Summer Vegetable Garden
When starting a vegetable garden for summer, plan to use these vegetables:
Winter Vegetable Garden
If you don’t get snow in winter, you can grow vegetables right the way through. Cool season vegetables are:
Organic Gardening Advice For New Organic Gardeners
Organic gardening can encompass a lot of techniques, depending upon whom you ask or talk to about it. You know that it’s the kind of care and attention that you give the plants that help them grow, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t improve your technique. Try using the tips below:
* When growing organic plants hook your plants up to an electric timer that will turn lights on and off continuously throughout the day at the same time. By doing this, you will ensure that your plants receive the proper amount of light that they need.
* To insulate the soil and protect against weeds, you should consider different types of mulches. Use things like wood chips, leaves, hay, and lawn clippings. Protecting plants with a mulch helps them in many ways, such as guarding soil against erosion. You can even look into living mulches, which are plants that serve the same purpose as a mulch.
* When you collect your vegetables from your organic garden, use an old plastic laundry basket. First of all, it has a lot of room to gather many fruits and vegetables at one time. The basket will also also allow you to rinse off your harvest quickly since it will serve as a strainer to remove soil and debris from your fruits and vegetables.
* A great tip when opening up your own organic garden is to mist your mix with a spray bottle. If you do not have a spray bottle, then set your trays in water. This is needed so that your mix will get the proper amount of moisture from below the surface.
* When you buy seeds for your garden, be sure to purchase seeds that are labeled “certified organic.” This ensures that your plants will be organic throughout their lifespan and that the seeds you are buying aren’t contaminated with chemical fertilizers or pesticides. Watch out for labels, such as “genetically engineered” or any mention of “natural” that does not include the phrase “certified organic.”
* Integrate low-growing strawberries into your yard’s landscape. Instead of setting aside fruit plants in a separate area, choose strawberries, such as alpine varieties, to use a ground cover that doubles as a fruit garden. These spreading, low-growing plants look attractive and grow well in areas that have a lot of sun.
* You can still collect compost material in the winter even when the ground has frozen. Just collect your old newspapers, shred them and place them in large garbage bags. Also add some finely chopped kitchen wastes (never meat) and work into the paper. Place the bags in a warm area. In the spring, the material in the bag will have degraded enough to work into your soil.
* Take some time to build your own garden. Plan out how everything should look and where you want to grow certain plants. Try landscaping your own yard. It can also help return so much of your original investment, along with being an great way to make sure your plants have a proper place to grow.
* If you are going to go organic in your gardening efforts, be sure to mulch your garden with at least 3 inches of organic material. This will help to conserve water, add nutrients and humus to the soil and will discourage weeds. It also gives your garden a nice appearance.
Organic gardening does have a lot of different techniques and approaches, but they all have the common goal of making something grow successfully. You can always improve upon your own organic gardening techniques to grow better, healthier organic plants. Hopefully, these tips have given you some advice on how to do that.